January 26, 2018

6 Tips to Rise Up When You're Down



Peggybuy.com

 I have been wrestling depression, off and on, my entire life. I believe that everyone has dealt with it at some point. Lately, it has been super rough on me, especially this month. As you may know, I am a stay at home mom of 3 girls. My husband works very long, very odd hours. Our schedules rarely meet up. I keep putting the thought that being a stay at home mom and a single mom are not really any different.

This is where the depression hits hard. I love my husband to death and I definitely wouldn't trade my life with him. I have been that single mom for the first 3 years of my oldest daughters life. My husband and I started dating around her first birthday. We were not stable for the first 3 years of her life, but she had insisted that he was daddy from the moment they met. To me, we were "love at first sight," it just took him longer to come around. lol. He later admitted that he felt it, too, he just wasn't sure he was ready.

Anyway, back from that tangent. I am home 24-7 with the kids. I clean the house with the kids. I do my workouts on 1/3 of my mat with the kids. I go to the store. Yep, you guessed it, WITH THE KIDS.

Now, since we just moved about 4 months ago, I haven't had a chance to go out and meet anyone or do the things I love. So, this led to a fall into a depression on top of that exhausted depression that I mentioned earlier. I didn't see any of this happening until about a week ago. I was sitting there scrolling through Twitter and realized how bored I was and didn't know what I could do about it. I just wanted to breathe from all the Stewie's in the house. You know the infamous "Mom, Mom, Mommy." I can't randomly get up and leave now, can I?

Honestly, my days are on repeat right now. I am constantly on autopilot. It literally never changes. Have you ever felt that way? I am stuck in a rut. Nothing new ever, I mean EVER happens. I literally sat down and cried today because its the same cycle. Thoughts and all.

I sat down and thought of all the ways I have pulled myself out.

Here are some tips to get up when you are feeling down:

1. Turn on your favorite podcast.

I literally can not sit down and talk for long. Or listen to someone talk for that matter. I literally went on autopilot while listened to one of my favorite podcasts. I like story-tellers by the way. One of them is called "Lore." I have been listening to it way before Amazon adapted the series. Anyway, I had 15 minutes before I had to go pick up my daughter from school. As I walked out the door, I realized I had just cleaned my entire living room at that time. I had no clue I was doing that much work.  

2. Turn on your favorite song/playlist.
I use YouTube for this. Do NOT turn on your favorite cry music here. We all have that playlist. I try not to ever use it. When I don't want to fold laundry, some Panic at the Disco, Halestorm, Seether, Fall Out Boy, or Paramore all come in handy. I like headbanging, jumping, mosh-pit, dancing music. It gets me pumped and ready to work. I literally fold like 4 or 5 loads in one sitting. Don't roll your eyes. I know I am not the only one who hates laundry. That's impossible. Seriously, though, try some hard music next time. I stand by the couch, folding, and my kids just look and laugh. I find it quite hilarious, too, because I know I look down-right ridiculous. But I'm a mom, I have an excuse lol.

3. Start a new workout.
I say new because if you are like me and feel like you are on repeat, this can help change it up. Add a few new pieces to your work out. Mix it up every once in a while. I like doing the same thing over and over, but at some point, you have to add more weights or do a new move because the same ones aren't hitting those muscles anymore. Your body needs the challenge to tone up. As your muscles get stronger, you add more weight right. Try something new here. 


4. Use your phone or the Internet.
Use your lifeline and CALL A FRIEND. Set up a time to go hang out at the park or schedule a wine and canvas. Set something up that gets you out of the house. If they have kids take them to the park with you. Their kids can keep your kids busy and out of your hair. Trust me, your friend is probably thinking the same thing. 


If you are like me and just moved, go on Facebook and search for mom groups in your area. I totally just did that 2 days ago and I found one. I was even referred to a "mom meet up." It is literally for meeting new friends who are also moms. Only moms will be there, NO KIDS! There are also a few moms who joined a local toddler PTA group. This consists of weekly playgroups with your children's age groups. I loved this idea. $12 a year to have meetings once a month with guest speakers to learn new ways to teach my kids at home, to let my kids play with other kids. They get to make friends and learn without the expensive cost of daycare that I don't need. All the while, mommy gets to make new friends, too.


5. Bake.
Bake a cake. Bake some cookies. I cannot be the only mom who likes to cook. I am a mom that a cake is good no matter what time it is. It's someone's birthday somewhere. Celebrate! This can be a change in your day, though. For real! I bake a cake like once every 3 months. Plus, you cannot stay sad while licking the batter off of the spatula! You definitely can't be sad shaking sprinkles, either. Bake a cake, just because. You do not need to be validated, lol!



6. Take a walk.
I liked our duck pond, back in my hometown. In college, when I felt lonely, this is where you would find me. I took a book, walked around the pond, sat under a tree and read. Sometimes, I studied. We live in a nice neighborhood now. I feel like I can walk, no matter what time it is. Walks are peaceful. They are a time for yourself. They are quiet. Read a book, get lost in another land, (secretly) fall in love with the hero. Or, drown in your thoughts. This is the time that I find my answers or peace. When I start getting angry and crying, I run. I have so much anger that it works as a great release. When I was younger, I got in trouble (for what? I don't remember). My mom sent me to my room, my dad was in his workshop. I ran out the door. I probably ran 30 laps around the house. It worked though. Whatever you are looking for, it is probably there.

I hope this helps someone. I have been in dark places before and these are how I find my way out. If they don't, there is something for you! I promise! I hated counseling and felt it never worked. I can't remember to take the pills. I had to find another outlet. I am also an insomniac. Depression and insomnia are like peanut butter and jelly. They go hand in hand. They make things harder for you. 

Big City Sportswear

Comment below and tell me what tips you have to get up when you are down. I want to know what works for you. Who knows it might help someone else, too. 

If You Like Me, Don't Forget To Click Below To Support Me

5 comments:

  1. I really love your ideas babe, I think this blog post is going to help a lot of people out! Thank you for sharing πŸŒΈπŸ’œ✨

    With love, Alisha Valerie. x
    www.alishavalerie.com | www.twitter.com/alishavalerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You chica! I really hope it does, I know a lot of people who struggle with this and are afraid to speak about it because of how society has shamed it.

      Delete
  2. bake is certainly a great tip! I use to bake some sweet treat everytime I'm feeling down. It works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You forget why you're upset when you are concentrating on the components for your cake lol.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Who am I?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin I am a 27 year old stay at home mom of three beautiful girls that constantly love to gain my a...

Copyright © The Threepeat Mom. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio